Five Year Market Analysis and Technology Forecast through 2019
How Many Industrial Automation Devices Are Available for Connection to the Industrial Internet of Things?
The Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) and its potential to transform production operations is one of the hottest current topics in manufacturing. Along with Industrie 4.0, IT/OT convergence, and Smart Manufacturing, the IIoT is cited as the latest means for making manufacturing production more flexible, more cost effective, and more responsive to changes in market demand.
Not surprisingly, numerous market forecasts attempt to quantify the potential inherent in the Internet of Things (IoT), promising that billions of “things” or devices, worth trillions of dollars, will soon be connected.
This report answers a different but equally important question: how many industrial automation devices are and will be available for incorporation into the IIoT? Drawing on ARC’s 30 years of quantifying the market for industrial control devices, this research assesses the potential IIoT market from the realistic perspective of the number of installed and shipped devices that can potentially connect to the IIoT. This study specifically focuses on connected devices used in manufacturing production, and excludes connected end devices such as automobiles, jet engines, or televisions.
Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) Strategic Issues
Migration toward the IIoT represents the next step in a connectivity evolution that has been taking place in manufacturing for decades. What new challenges will suppliers face as the IIoT takes hold?
• Will the IIoT generate absolute growth in shipments of automation devices?
• What is the size of the potential retrofit market vs. new product shipments?
• Which market segments represent the largest available market?
• Which specific device types within each segment represent the most potential?
• What single category of automation products will be the earliest adopter?
Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) Stuy Formats and Editions Available
This market study may be purchased as an Excel Workbook and/or as a PDF File. The Workbook has some unique features such as the ability to view data in local currency. Regional studies include country and industry market data. Country studies include market trends and industry data. Studies and formats available are listed below:
|MIRA Workbook||PDF File|
|Worldwide (includes regional data)||No||Yes|
|North America (includes country data)||No||No|
|Latin America (includes country data)||No||No|
|Europe, Middle East, Africa (includes country data)||No||No|
|Asia (includes country data)||No||No|
Table of contents for these studies is shown in the following paragraphs.
Worldwide Research Focus Areas
- Major Trends
- Strategies for Success
Market Forecast List of Figures
- Total Available Market (TAM) of Connectable Devices ($s and Units)
- TAM for Discrete Automation Devices by Device Type ($s and Units)
- GMCs, Servo/Stepper Drives
- AC Drives
- Industrial PCs
- Operator Interface Panels
- Industrial UPS
- Machine Vision
- Safety PLCs
- 3D Laser Scanners
- Additive Manufacturing Systems
- Discrete I/O
- Autonomous Mobile Robots
- Wind Turbine Control Systems
- TAM for Process Automation Devices by Device Type ($s and Units)
- DCS Systems
- SCADA Systems
- Single and Multiloop Controllers
- Smart Pressure/Flow, Temperature, and Level Transmitters
- Electronic Flowmeters
- Process I/O
- Digital Control Valve Positioners
- Intelligent Electric Actuators
- Process Safety Systems
- Smart Toxic Gas Detectors
- Intelligent Pumps
- TAM for Discrete Automation Devices by Retrofits versus Connected Shipments
- TAM for Process Automation Devices by Retrofits versus Connected Shipments
- TAM for Network Infrastructure by Device Type ($s and Units)
- Industrial Ethernet Switches
- Industrial Ethernet Gateways
- Wireless Access Points
- Shipments of Connectable Devices by Type ($s, Units, ASP)
- Shipments of Discrete Automation Devices by Device Type
- Shipments of Process Automation Devices by Device Type
- Shipments of Network Infrastructure Devices by Device Type ($s and Units)
The research identifies all relevant suppliers serving this market.
Regional Research Focus Areas
Country Research Focus Areas