This Selection Guide includes both selection criteria and strategies to help in choosing the Historian Solution Provider that best meets your specific current and future needs.
The scope of the selection criteria allows the user to identify and rate the importance of specific functionality required by an individual site or corporation, whether it is a Historian for an isolated island of automation, or a centralized solution for an entire plant. It allows those involved in the selection to make quicker and improved decisions to select the solution that fits your application best, delivers the lowest cost of ownership, and makes your business as competitive as possible.
Process historians have now moved beyond their traditional role as a tool to collect and archive data to better understand past plant performance. They have now become a powerful tool that can be used to help improve real-time operations. With increased data throughput and higher data resolutions, historians have also become a foundation for many plant applications including production management, energy optimization and plant asset management. Today's historians also support techniques, such as complex event processing, which can analyze multiple streams of plant data in real-time to identify and diagnose emerging problems before they disrupt the production process in the plant, or negatively affect smart grid or other distributed assets.
ARC has been researching the Historian market for over two decades and we understand the challenge companies have in selecting and implementing a solution that will best meets their isolate, plant or corporate wide requirements.
- Compatibility with current installed base of technology
- Integration with business systems
- Breadth and depth of supplier’s vertical market solution support
- Support, training, and spares
- Understanding the total cost of owner-ship for OEMs and end users
- Architecture based on object models
- Architecture based on standards
- Architecture incorporating Cloud, IIoT, Virtual Servers, etc.
- Designs for maximum reliability
- Supplier long term viability
- Identify long term visions
This ARC Selection Guide will help you select the best available historian to meet your needs now and in the future.
Download Brochure: Historian Software
Table of Contents
- Executive Overview
- Trends and Challenges
- Historian Requirements
- The Path to Improved Performance
- Process Historians Evolve into Operations Centers
- Technology and Supplier Selection Criteria
- Next Steps and Recommendations
For More Information
For more information on this technology guide or to discuss how we can help you, please contact us.