According to ARC Advisory Group research, the worldwide Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC) and PLC-based PACs market returned to a reliable, mid-single-digit growth in 2022. However, this growth behavior masks a combination of market dynamics of price hikes, currency fluctuations, and large backorders. Much of the growth was due to inflation-induced price hikes imposed by suppliers in 2021 and 2022, as well as to the enormous backlogs accrued by suppliers due to chip shortages. ARC's PLC research tracks shipments and not orders, and many suppliers shipped PLC systems in 2022 that had been ordered the previous year with long lead times. Finally, currency fluctuations played an outsized role in stymieing market growth measured in US dollars.
"The Industrial Internet of Things (Industrial IoT) is changing how industrial processes are controlled and monitored, but PLCs are growing with and adapting to new challenges rather than being replaced by alternate technologies. Despite threats from contemporary technologies, the classic PLC continues to be the preferred choice among machine builders and end users to control industrial machinery and processes, as well as in infrastructure applications. Based on established industrial technology, PLCs are valued for their speed, repeatability, reliability, and ease of deployment and maintenance. These characteristics are difficult to achieve with other technologies," according to David Humphrey, Research Director and key author of ARC's PLCs and PLC-based PACs Market Research.
Programmable Logic Controllers Market Trends
In addition to providing detailed competitive market share data, the report also addresses key market trends as follows:
- Communications Become More Standardized and Universal
- Connect to the Cloud
- Expect More Frequent Migration
- More IO to Gather More Information
- MTP Adds Flexibility and Scalability
- PLCs Go Industrial IoT
- Software-defined Everything
Leading Suppliers to the Programmable Logic Controllers Market Identified
In addition to providing specific market data and industry trends, this ARC market research also identifies and positions the leading suppliers to this market and provides and summarizes their relevant offerings. An alphabetical list of key suppliers covered in this analysis includes: Mitsubishi Electric, OMRON, Rockwell Automation, Schneider Electric, Siemens.
About the Programmable Logic Controllers Research
The Programmable Logic Controllers research explores the current and future market performance and related technology and business trends and identifies leading technology suppliers. This new research is based on ARC’s industry-leading market research database, extensive primary and secondary research, and proprietary economic modelling techniques. The research includes competitive analysis, five-year market forecasts, and five years of historical analysis. The research segmentation includes Overall Scope, World Region, Industry, Customer Type, Machinery by Segment, Sales Channel, Revenue Category, Hardware by Type, Controller by Type, Software by Component, Service Revenues by Type, PAC and Standard PLCs.
This new research is available in a variety of formats to meet the specific research and budgetary requirements of a wide variety of organizations. These include:
- MIRA Service: An annual subscription service that provides a unique online environment to each customer, together with all the necessary user interface apps and datasets. MIRA unlocks the full benefits of ARC’s time-tested market intelligence by leveraging the latest analytical tools and technologies to allow you to make more actionable, real-time business decisions. Interactive access to ARC’s qualitative analysis is displayed in context with up-to-date market data, allowing clients to develop customized views of the market to best suit their needs.
- Concise Market Analysis Report (PDF): This wide-screen presentation format provides executives, business unit managers, and other users with immediate access to in-depth market analysis, including analysis associated with every market data chart and figure. Included is an executive-level summary of the current market dynamics, five-year market forecast, and competitive analysis, plus an overview of strategic issues. The PDF is available with a comprehensive set of charts with associated analysis.
- Market Intelligence Workbook (Excel Power Pivot, sold with Market Analysis Report PDF): A standard Excel Workbook, including base year market data and a five-year market forecast. This workbook enables licensed users to freely manipulate data, making it easier to analyze the latest data for business intelligence and generate custom reports, including up to five years of historical analysis.
For more information on this and other available ARC market research, please visit our Market Analysis Services section.