Client Profile and Objective: The client ranks among the largest oil field service companies in the world. However, it was using an outdated analog downhole electronics system in the oil rigs. The client wanted to reengineer these electronics to have the components integrate and interact with digital systems. LTTS’ (L&T Technology Services) unmatched domain expertise in the oil & gas industry, combined with its proven experience in new product development (NPD), including testing and qualification, made it the partner of choice for the client to execute this project.
Challenges: The client’s two main challenges were:
- Analog and outdated downhole components resulting in inaccurate results
- Creating an environment for high temperature testing of the newly designed equipment for field readiness
LTTS’ Solution: LTTS’ oil and gas experts designed and developed new downhole measuring equipment from scratch. This comprised of:
- Design: A dsPIC33 microcontroller was used, and a PCB that could incorporate this was assembled.
- Code: An application code was developed to test peripherals, such as PLL, High Speed PWM, ADC, Flash, Digital GPIO, Comparator, and UART.
- Qualification Testing: LTTS leveraged its thermal lab and thermal chambers to conduct testing at various temperatures. Failure temperature was tracked for each component and replaced with higher temperature resistant components to achieve highest overall working temperature for the downhole electronics.
- GUI (Graphical User Interface): A dashboard was developed using LabView to easily display all the different equipment parameters.
Business Benefits: The multiple business benefits:
- All new, digital downhole components that can operate in temperatures up to 260 degrees Celsius
- Approximate cost reduction of 40 percent
- A detailed temperature test report was given for safe component operation