Bentley Systems Launches iTwin Experience, iTwin Capture, and iTwin IoT
Bentley Systems, Incorporated announced new capabilities of its iTwin Platform, significantly extending the scope and interoperability of infrastructure data that engineering firms and owner-operators can use to create and leverage digital twins in design, construction, and operations workflows.
The new iTwin Platform capabilities will power Bentley Infrastructure Cloud, a set of solutions that span the end-to-end infrastructure lifecycle and value chain, encompassing ProjectWise, SYNCHRO, and AssetWise, unified and made interoperable by Bentley’s infrastructure schemas.
iTwin Experience is a new cloud product to empower owner-operators’ and their constituents’ insights into critical infrastructure by visualizing and navigating digital twins. Significantly, iTwin Experience accelerates engineering firms’ “digital integrator” initiatives to create and curate asset-specific digital twins, incorporating their proprietary machine learning, analytics, and asset performance algorithms. iTwin Experience acts as a “single pane of glass,” overlaying engineering technology (ET), operations technology (OT), and information technology (IT) to enable users to visualize, query, and analyze infrastructure digital twins in their full context, at any level of granularity, at any scale, all geo-coordinated and fully searchable.
Additional iTwin products include:
- iTwin Capture, for capturing, analyzing, and sharing reality data, enables users to easily create engineering-ready, high resolution 3D models of infrastructure assets using drone video and survey imagery from any digital camera, scanner, or mobile mapping device. Infrastructure digital twins of any existing assets can accordingly start with reality modeling, rather than requiring a BIM model. iTwin Capture offers the highest-fidelity and versatile means of capturing reality to serve as the digital context for surveying, design, monitoring, and inspection processes.
- iTwin IoT, for acquiring and analyzing sensor data, enables users to seamlessly incorporate Internet of Things (IoT) data created by sensors and condition monitoring devices. Infrastructure IoT can be used effectively for real-time safety and risk monitoring in operations and construction activities, including to measure and visualize environmental changes, structural movement, or deterioration for condition assessment, maintenance scheduling, and to prompt precautionary interventions. By securely incorporating real-time data at scale from among hundreds of sensor types, iTwin IoT
iTwin Experience is in early access; iTwin Capture and iTwin IoT are available now. iTwin Experience incorporates capabilities from OpenCities Planner. iTwin Capture incorporates capabilities from ContextCapture and Orbit 3DM. iTwin IoT incorporates capabilities from the sensemetrics platform and Vista Data Vision.
Bentley Systems Announces Bentley Infrastructure Cloud, Powered by iTwin
Bentley Systems, Incorporated announced Bentley Infrastructure Cloud, its combination of enterprise systems that span the end-to-end lifecycle and value chain of the world’s infrastructure. Powered by the iTwin Platform and Bentley’s infrastructure schemas and thus seamlessly integrating with Bentley’s engineering applications, Bentley Infrastructure Cloud will enable better creation, delivery, and ongoing operation of better infrastructure, through complete and evergreen digital twins.
Bentley Infrastructure Cloud encompasses ProjectWise, for project delivery; SYNCHRO, for construction; and AssetWise, for asset operations. These enterprise systems now leverage digital twin technologies, powered by iTwin, to open up data contained in engineering files through automated and intrinsic mapping to Bentley’s infrastructure schemas. By advancing these enterprise systems to become fundamentally data-centric without disrupting file-based workflows, Bentley Infrastructure Cloud provides user organizations with significant opportunities to improve collaboration, productivity, and quality.
Bentley’s infrastructure schemas are both open and extensible, and now link to reality modeling and IoT devices, and incorporate carbon calculation and subsurface data. The data representation of Bentley’s infrastructure schemas serves well the export of Industry Foundation Classes. The ability to share data seamlessly and to enrich it throughout the lifecycle helps engineering firms and owner-operators create and derive more value from their engineering data.
The potential for a unifying, cloud-based solution across the lifecycle of infrastructure engineering arises from the institutionalized limitations of fragmented information flows that have impeded connections, feedback, analytics, reuse, and knowledge transfer. Bentley Infrastructure Cloud comprises a data-centric, always on, always current, always accessible federated environment that persists and relates engineering data throughout the span of design, construction, and operations. Information mobility and semantic continuity across traditional boundaries through Bentley Infrastructure Cloud will help accelerate, among other advancements, modular design and design for constructability, and performance-based design.
ProjectWise, Powered by iTwin
Bentley Systems also unveiled major enhancements to ProjectWise to extend its scope from work-in-progress engineering to full digital delivery. By supplementing each project’s sequential file-based workflows with data-centric information mobility and analytics across all projects:
- through new project portfolio and program management capabilities, ProjectWise users can now apply analytics at the level of engineering fidelity across all projects, learn from and reuse rich project data, and retain knowledge to enhance the quality and efficiency of future projects
- through new digital twin capabilities, ProjectWise users can undertake interdisciplinary design reviews and advanced design validation to improve the effectiveness and quality of their designs, and also increase the richness of their digital deliverables for construction and operations, to position their businesses for transformational digital services beyond handover.
Powered by iTwin:
- ProjectWise leverages iTwin Capture to integrate reality modeling data, increasingly the norm, to capture and monitor the digital context of designs, geospatially coordinated with engineering data
- ProjectWise leverages Bentley’s infrastructure schemas to semantically align design-file data across multiple disciplines for comprehensive design reviews, and across all projects to understand dependencies, and to reuse datasets, including for machine-learning to develop proprietary analytics
- ProjectWise will leverage iTwin Experience to offer immersive visibility into project digital twins, assuring quality and improving performance
- ProjectWise 4D Design Review, powered by iTwin, enables users to securely share large, complex models with their entire project ecosystem, regardless of authoring applications. Reviewers can perform virtual walk-throughs, query model information, and analyze embedded property data using a simple web browser. A streamlined interface makes interdisciplinary review of 2D and 3D models easier and more accessible, and enables reviewers to see who changed what and when, through 4D visualization
- Advanced Design Validation, powered by iTwin, includes 3D digital workflows, integration with Bentley’s OpenRoads and third-party applications, and AI/ML enhanced visualization, enabling simulation of the driver experience to validate designs and assure requirements are met
- ProjectWise Components Center, a cloud-based digital component management and library service with direct integration to engineering applications, drives standardization, automation, and reuse of design objects to deliver projects faster and more reliably. Engineering firms can now leverage data from one design to another, capture lessons learned, create reusable components, and truly industrialize their project delivery expertise
- Digital Delivery capabilities leverage digital workflows to automate and manage the creation, exchange, and review of contractual deliverables including PDFs and Industry Foundation Classes, as well as digital twins. ProjectWise users can avoid wasting time manually assembling and sending packages, reduce risk by gaining visibility and traceability in deliverables workflows, and by automatically maintaining a comprehensive audit trail.
Powered by iTwin within Bentley Infrastructure Cloud, ProjectWise for digital delivery enhances engineering firms’ opportunities while minimizing their risks, improving project performance and quality assurance. Infrastructure digital twins created in the design phase can be valuable to owner-operators as incremental project deliverables, including engineering firms’ recurring services as “digital integrators” for data quality and security, proprietary analytics, and monitoring.
AssetWise, Asset Health Monitoring Solutions, Powered by iTwin
Finally, Bentley also announced the availability of new asset-specific solutions, powered by iTwin, that leverage iTwin Experience, iTwin Capture, and iTwin IoT to deliver real-time asset health monitoring.
AssetWise Bridge Monitoring solution transforms traditional bridge inspections into a modern, digital workflow. By flying drones and using iTwin Capture to create a 3D digital twin of the bridge, inspections can be conducted virtually, avoiding costly and hazardous field trips, while tapping into expertise remotely and leveraging AI/ML to automatically identify and classify defects. Information is made available to stakeholders across the workflow via iTwin Experience. Inspection data required to correct issues can be seamlessly handed over to maintenance, design, and construction to create substantial savings.
AssetWise Dam Monitoring solution is purpose-built for engineering firms to offer digital services to dam operators who are modernizing their dam safety programs to reduce risk and address growing regulatory requirements. The upcoming solution will provide unified access to sensor data and will be able to be deployed without the need for specialized technicians. Users can incorporate sensor data in any digital twin for a contextual view of real-time data and associated metrics.
AssetWise Bridge Monitoring and Dam Monitoring solutions are in early access.
Bentley Infrastructure Cloud, comprising ProjectWise, SYNCHRO, and AssetWise enterprise systems, is available now.