Client Profile: The client, a leading electronic and original design manufacturer (ODM), wanted to enter the utility provider market. However, its highly successful electronic and semiconductors division had limited expertise when it came to energy storage system (ESS). LTTS (L&T Technology Services Limited), with its proven expertise in this domain, was chosen by the client when they decided to enter the ESS business.
Challenges: The client had to tackle two main challenges:
- Lack of in-house expertise in battery building
- Redesigning of power electronics based on the storage design
Solution: Understanding the challenges and requirement, LTTS’ team of industrial design engineers proposed a container-based racked solution for designing an energy storage system:
Battery housing: The existing containers could be opened only from one side, making it diﬃcult to mount racks of batteries in them. LTTS designed a non-standard container setup that can open on three sides and has batteries arranged in racks inside the container.
HVAC: The non-standard container called for a new design in the HVAC system. LTTS designed a special HVAC system that utilized minimal energy and resulted in 25 percent optimization of space.
Safety: Installation of a ﬁre safety system that is capable of extinguishing ﬁre from lead acid and metal oxide. Added to this was a UPS system that will keep the electronics system safe in case of an emergency.
Testing: The setup underwent rigorous environmental and thermal testing to ensure maximum eﬃciency and safety under any condition. The compliance was done according to UL & NFPA70 standards.
Benefits to the Client: The client was satisfied as the benefits were clearly visible:
- Design: A uniquely designed 20-feet container that can open from three sides
- Output: A unique inverter design with 750KW output. Three such inverters can be housed inside a container taking the total output to 2.2MW
- Flexibility: The unique capability of power electronics and the battery management system (BMS) meant that the setup can work with any battery chemistry from any supplier