The Industrial Internet Consortium (IIC) announced publication of the Industrial Internet of Things Distributed Computing in the Edge Technical Report. Designed for IoT system architects and implementers, the report describes a distributed computing framework that moves the capabilities of data center-based cloud computing closer to intelligent IoT devices at the edge.
The technical report includes:
- A structural and functional framework for distributing computing in the edge
- Definitions of key architectural concepts employed in distributed edge computing
- Essential capabilities of an edge system's elements
- Security and management functions
- Essential interfaces for these elements
System architects can use the framework as a template to derive a concrete distributed computing architecture. Operations technologists, information technologists, network and business managers can use the report to learn more about the essential elements and advantages of distributed computing in the edge.
The Industrial Internet of Things Distributed Computing in the Edge Technical Report is free of charge.