The O-RAN Alliance and the Linux Foundation announced the creation of the O-RAN Software Community (O-RAN SC).
The O-RAN SC will provide open software aligned with the O-RAN Alliance’s open architecture. As a new open source community under the Linux Foundation, the O-RAN SC is sponsored by the O-RAN Alliance, and together they will develop open source software enabling modular, open, intelligent, efficient, and agile disaggregated radio access networks.
The initial set of software projects may include:
- near-real-time RAN intelligent controller (nRT RIC),
- non-real-time RAN intelligent controller (NRT RIC),
- cloudification and virtualization platforms,
- open central unit (O-CU),
- open distributed unit (O-DU),
- and a test and integration effort to provide a working reference implementation.
Working with other adjacent open source networking communities, the O-RAN SC will enable collaborative development across the full operator network stack.