ARC Advisory Group’s new report on Industrial IoT Edge Compute Software Platforms reveals some major changes in the market. Entry of the leading industrial automation providers into the edge compute market is a harbinger of the trend toward emphasis on business outcomes enabled by domain-specific expertise. This contrasts with the early emphasis on infrastructure, protocol conversion, and device and data management that characterized the initial phases of market development. The emphasis on analytics and data-driven improvements at the edge coincides with increasing evidence of the increasingly software-defined nature of industrial automation and emphasis on software-driven performance improvements.
"Automation suppliers’ emphasis on analytics and data-driven improvements provides testimony that the historically separate worlds of industrial automation, software-defined architectures, and cloud computing are converging at the edge. Industry focus on the OT edge coincides with mounting evidence of the increasingly software-defined nature of industrial automation and emphasis on software-driven performance improvements," according to Chantal Polsonetti, Vice President and key author of ARC's Industrial IoT Edge Compute Software Platforms Market Research Report.
Industrial IoT Edge Compute Software Platforms Market Trends
In addition to providing detailed competitive market share data, the report also addresses key market trends as follows:
- The Industrial IoT Edge is One of Several Distinctly Defined Edges
- The Historically Separate Worlds of Industrial Automation, Software-Defined Architectures, and Cloud Computing Are Converging at the Edge
- The Focus on Edge Capabilities Is Migrating from Protocol Conversion and Device Management to Edge Computing
- Reliability and Performance remain Primary Metrics of Industrial IoT Edge
- Kubernetes is Coming to the Edge
- Hyperscalers Are Going “Edge-Native”
- Edge-Native Architectures Are Advancing the Reality that Industrial Automation is Increasingly Software-Defined
- Edge Hardware Platform Possibilities Are Expanding
- Edge AI is Rekindling Interest in Bundled Hardware/Software Solutions
- Edge Adoption Remains Tightly Coupled with Cloud Adoption
- Applications and Use cases are the Real Value at the Edge
Leading Suppliers to the industrial IoT Edge Compute Software Platforms Market Identified
In addition to providing specific market data and industry trends, this ARC market research also identifies and positions the leading suppliers to this market and provides and summarizes their relevant offerings. An alphabetical list of key suppliers covered in this analysis includes: AWS, Cisco, ei3, Microsoft, and Software AG.
About the Industrial IoT Edge Compute Software Platforms Research
The Industrial IoT Edge Compute Software Platforms report explores the current and future market performance and related technology and business trends and identifies leading technology suppliers. This new research is based on ARC’s industry-leading market research database, extensive primary and secondary research, and proprietary economic modelling techniques. The research includes competitive analysis, plus five- year market forecasts. The report segmentation includes Revenue Category, Sales Channel, World Region, Industry, Customer Type, Customer Tier, Service Revenues by Type, Project Type, Software Revenues by Type, Platform Execution Environment, and Application Execution Environment.
This new research is available in a variety of formats to meet the specific research and budgetary requirements of a wide variety of organizations. These include:
- Market Intelligence Workbook (Excel Power Pivot): A standard Workbook includes the base year market data and a five-year market forecast. This workbook enables licensed users to freely manipulate the data to make it easier to analyze the latest data for business intelligence and generate custom reports.
- Concise Market Analysis Report (PDF): This wide-screen presentation format makes it much easier to find detailed information on a market. This new format provides executives, business unit managers, and other authorized users with immediate access to in-depth market analysis, including analysis associated with every market data chart and figure. Included is an executive-level summary of the current market dynamics, five-year market forecast, and competitive analysis, plus an overview of strategic issues. The PDF is available with a comprehensive set of charts with associated analysis.
For more information on this and other available ARC market research, please visit our Market Data & Studies section.